Jan 31, Kathmandu: Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal has said that the government's policy is to protect and promote media by recognizing it as a national service industry.
Addressing the 38th-anniversary ceremony of Nepal Television on Tuesday, PM Dahal clarified that the government's policy is to protect and promote the media by recognizing it as a national service industry for the professional and institutional development of the media.
He said the government is committed to guaranteeing freedom of thought and expression, the right to information, and freedom of the press. He also mentioned that an inclusive democratic information and communication policy will be issued to increase the access of all classes, regions, castes, languages, and communities to mass media. Prime Minister Dahal said that the government is committed to establishing a mass media training institute.
He said that the professional and physical security of journalists and media will be guaranteed. He also mentioned that arrangements will be made for health and accident insurance for journalists. He said, 'For the professional and institutional development of the media, the government has a policy of protecting and promoting the media by granting it recognition as a national service industry.
An inclusive democratic information and communication policy will be issued to increase the access of all classes, regions, castes, languages, and communities to mass media. He also claimed that the professional and physical security of journalists and all types of media will be guaranteed. He said that health, accident, and riot or terror insurance will be arranged for all journalists.
Stating that strengthening democracy, defense of the constitution, and improving the economy and public service are the main responsibilities of the government, PM Dahal requested to communicate the responsibilities of the government in a systematic manner. He said, 'The current government under my leadership, formed in challenging circumstances, is moving ahead with three priorities of social justice, good governance, and prosperity.
I believe that strengthening democracy, protecting and progressive implementation of the constitution, reforming the economy in a challenging situation and effective performance in the field of public service and livelihood are the main responsibilities of the current government.
PM Dahal praised the important role played by Nepal Television in information and news dissemination. He said that Nepal Television has progressed to be adopted by all communities. Similarly, according to the changes in the state system, Nepal Television also said that it is a commendable task to transform itself.
The full text of his opinion on the 38th anniversary of Nepal Television:
1. On the happy occasion of the 38th anniversary of Nepal Television, the oldest television in Nepal, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the television family as well as all the sources and viewers at home and abroad, advertisers, consultants, and the general public, and express my best wishes for continued progress.
2. This television, which was established 38 years ago on this day in 1985 AD, has not only established itself as the leading television in the country but has also deeply absorbed the multi-lingual, multicultural reality and character established as the beauty of the Federal Democratic Republic. The role played by television is very important in bringing truth, facts, fair and official information, news, and content to the general public through the medium of the native language spoken in Nepal. I wholeheartedly appreciate this positive and creative work.
3. Nepal Television, being the official information and news media of the Nepalese government and the Nepali people, has unwaveringly proven itself in its responsibility to the state and accountability to the citizens. The fact that television has also modified and transformed itself according to the changes in the political system and the character of the state further proves the role and importance of television.
4. After the country was transformed into a federal democratic republic with the creation of a new constitution, television expanded its variety of content. Provincial channels are operating in Kohalpur and Itahari. I believe that television will continue the work of regional channel expansion with more height based on needs and priorities. Television broadcasting from Kathmandu has voiced the history, language, culture, and voice of all classes, castes, genders, regions, and communities. In this way, it has been established that all classes and communities of the country can see their faces on Nepal Television and feel a sense of belonging.
5. It is more important to start broadcasting news in 7 different languages this year. However, there is a challenge for television to become more responsible and professional according to the expectations of the common citizens and viewers. On behalf of the Government of Nepal, I make a special appeal to the management, staff, and all media workers to turn this challenge into an opportunity to use all their knowledge, wisdom, and discretion for the benefit of the organization.
6. Today's age is the age of science and technology. We can synthesize this era as the "Digital Era". The fourth industrial revolution has brought a qualitative change in the thinking, life, and activities of the entire world and the human race. There is no such area, topic, or issue in the world, which is separate from access to information technology. The development of digital technology has brought a qualitative change in the social production system itself. In such a situation, we can fulfill the most important tasks of the nation only by focusing on the development and expansion of science and technology and mainly information technology. Government media can and should play the leading role in this work.
7. The current government is committed to guaranteeing freedom of thought and expression, the right to information, and freedom of the press, as well as building the necessary structures and infrastructure, as well as making legal and practical guarantees. It is the government's policy to protect and promote the media as a national service industry for the professional and institutional development of the media for the promotion and benefit of the media and media workers. An inclusive democratic information and communication policy will be issued to increase the access of all classes, regions, castes, languages, and communities to mass media. By institutionalizing the federal democratic republican governance system, the policy of developing the information and communication system will be adopted as a supporting means to raise the standard of living of the people.
8. The government is committed to establishing mass media training institutes to enhance and update the skills and competencies of media workers and inspire them to the highest professional practices. Professional and physical security of journalists and all types of media will be guaranteed. Health, accident, and riot or terror insurance will be arranged for all journalists. It will be established as the responsibility of the state to provide the right to information with the effective implementation of the laws created for working journalists. For this, I am fully confident that there will be positive and creative support and cooperation from the media and the great personalities working in the field of communication.
9. The current government under my leadership, which was formed under challenging circumstances, is moving forward with three priorities of social justice, good governance, and prosperity. Strengthening of democracy, protection and progressive implementation of the constitution, reform of the economy in a challenging situation, and effective performance in the field of public service and livelihood are the main responsibilities of the current government. I would like to draw the attention of the Nepal Television family to take this responsibility of the government seriously, to communicate it to the public and the audience in a systematic manner.
10. Finally, I would like to express my heartiest congratulations to the Nepali Television family for successfully establishing the Nepali language, art, culture, and identity globally.